First United Methodist Church

Buffalo, Oklahoma

   Artist's rendition of the first church.

This is an incomplete history of the First United Methodist Church of Buffalo, OK.

If you would like to contribute to the history please feel free to email pictures, stories or published articles along with dates, events and persons depicted. All information is appreciated.  We may also include archived videos from previous church broadcasts over the local community channel.

 

History of the congregation

 

1903 At annual conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Oct. 1903, field operation was opened called Charleston Circuit.
1905 Seven classes (now called churches) were formed.  This circuit became the Brule Charge.
1906 Chartered as Methodist Episcopal Church at Brule, Oklahoma
1907 Circuit became Buffalo Charge.
1909 First Church built, Brule.
1911 White church and parsonage were built east of present Court House.  The Church was used for morning worship for over 45 years.
1920 Railroad came to Buffalo.  Willing Workers raised $300 serving dinners to crowd.  Money used on the basement and new furnace.
1920-1924 Basement and new furnace were added
1926-1931 Balcony built on north side of church, used as classroom.  Porch added to west side of parsonage.